Saturday, June 25, 2011

Utah Lake

So, my roommate and I were kinda bored this today and wanted something fun to do, but couldn't really think of anything. Then my roommate, David, suggested swimming. That really sounded good to me, but where? We landed on the least likely place: Utah Lake. We looked it up on Google Earth and it was only 5.17 miles away from our apartment. None of have a car, you see. So we would have to walk. Then we were invited to go to a game of Ultimate Frisbee which we could hit on our way back. Well, we were bored enough that we decided to undertake such a journey. We invited another roommate and he gladly accepted to do anything that would get him out of the apartment.

So, we packed up my backpack and headed west! It was a lot longer than I thought it'd be. We passed lots of apartments, and then houses and then a free way and then more houses and then come commercial area and then some farms. I brought my kite and flew it as we walked down this long, long, country road. Here's a picture of us by some cows we saw along the way.

David and Jacob



Me and the cows


Within...lots of time...we were finally there. And it was flooded! There was water covering everything. When we finally found the little island of sand that was all that remained of the "beach", we put our stuff down and hopped in the cold, dirty water. It was really dirty. Gross.


Then, being boys, we started exploring. We found an old wooden pallet with some logs underneath. It looked like someone had tried to make a raft and failed. So we thought we might do just that. The failing part was inevitable. So, we went around collecting all the drift wood we could find and put it under or through the pallet so that it'd be more buoyant. We were going to make a sail too, but that'd require some tools and nails. So, we decided to stick to the old-school gondola style. We found a long pole and used it to push out and set sail. I was named captain (probably because I was the lightest) and we set sail. I stood on top and pushed us along with the stick while my roommates swam alongside.



We went out pretty far, but...alas...the current and waves got the best of us. We were forced to wash up along some rocks and swim back to the beach. Very fun, but very tiring. I only fell of the raft once! Grooooose water. bleh!

Then we began our long walk home. That's a lot of time to get to know some roommates. We stopped at a Subway on the way back and were way too late for that Ultimate Frisbee game so we just came straight home. Now I'm soooo tired so, I'm going to take a shower, finish preparing my lesson for tomorrow's Sunday School and get to bed.

1 comment:

David said...

Yes! Perfect, funny description. You left out the 4 dead birds and 2 dead fish, and jumping over two fences to avoid the flooded road, and me getting soaked by the mean truck splashing me, and the bike park and the three crazy girls and the many ants, flies, and bacteria we trekked through. Fun day!