Sunday, February 20, 2011

Such is Life

So, I wasn't sure what to expect from the campus life at BYU after my mission. This is my first semester back and I've been home for just short of two months now. Things are a little harder than expected. I, being the wise-guy that I am, decided to get as many General credits out of the way before starting the Nursing Program. All good in theory, but now I'm taking 17 credits and have no life. I now realize that I probably could have just taken several of those General credits in the Spring giving me more time to focus on the pre-requisite classes for the Nursing Program this semester, but...

Such is life. You make some mistakes and you live with it, you learn from it, and you move on.

So, now I just took two mid-terms and turned in a paper and this week I have three more mid-terms and three papers to write. I find most of my time is spent in the solitude of my bedroom staring at a book or the computer screen and I'm wondering what all this is for. Why am I destroying myself? What's worse is there are about a million and a half distractions floating around. There's always a party or activity or movie or game and I'm always invited because I have awesome roommates and I feel like a complete looser when I tell them, "No thanks, I'm going to study read my text books for the next five hours followed by an exhilarating three hours of paper writing", but...

Such is life. You have a goal and you sacrifice everything to achieve it.

So, I realize that my life is not totally abnormal and that there are lots of other people out there with no social life too. I sure does help to have awesome roommates. This weekend I went Ice skating and will now openly admit that I have a weakness for the open lane. I love skating fast. There's a bi-ward activity this coming weekend and we're going ice skating again so I'm looking forward to that. I'm also going ice fishing tomorrow with some of my roommates. I never imagined I'd be doing so much with ice, but...

Such is life.

No comments: