Saturday, April 16, 2011

On Rebecca Black's Friday

Rebecca Black implores, "Which seat can I take?" This inquiry into the human soul reveals Black's sentiments towards the sixth day of the week, commonly known as Friday. The plain nature of the question has millions of youtubers puzzled, but not I. I understand to what exactly Black is referring. It is a celebration of words heralding in the new weekend. Through these simple words she declares, "Of all the problems I may have today, the greatest is which seat I shall take. My problems have been reduced to a decision of location for my enjoyment of the day with my friends. Nothing else matters now. I am free!" It is an exclamation of freedom. It is a pronouncement of power over the world. It is a cry for understanding. It's art. It's more than art; It is poetry.

2 comments:

Megan said...

And you questioned my interpretation of cars crashing and dropping bombs?

McKay Coffey said...

Haha. Well, I was just trying to think of a possible reasonable justification which may have gone through Rebecca's mind when writing or singing this song. I'm sure she wasn't thinking, "I'm going to write the most ridiculous song about ridiculously obvious events of my weekend." I just thought I might give her the benefit of the doubt.